Sunday, June 2, 2013

No Poem

I have not written a poem
I have not printed it, sold it, been sold by it
there has not been ink spilled in glory’s name
there have been no profound insights
         important distinctions or favorable descriptions
I have not been changed by this poem
         That I did not write
there were no new outlooks or dreams made clear

I have not danced with this poem
there are no beat words, no flowing of sublime reality
         nothing to hold on to

you never read this poem, I assure you
there were no comparisons to dead men’s ranting
         dead as this poem is
you are not reborn through my words

you, my friend, are exactly
                           the same
same as the dirt you forget or the iron that does not
         compose your will
same as same loves and has no name

there never was a poem
there have been no self songs, no fire or ice, no Grecian urns
no samurai who sing, no diamonds, no chimneys swept, no gods
no conversations about death
                          there are none

I am NOT better off, I am NOT a better man
there is nothing to ponder
there is no paradise
my 2 + 2 is still 4
I am still…

I have not written a poem
I have not written this poem

There is no poem

No comments:

Post a Comment