Sunday, September 30, 2012

Owned Pt 1

When I first bought my house it was a strange feeling. Up until that point I had not owned anything of truly significant monetary value. I can only describe the feeling as one of density. My whole world became filled with a whole other level of responsiblity. At the same time there is also a feeling of great pride in owning a home.
I wanted to do so much to improve the house. In my mind I had already built a whole new addition, a second bathroom, a studio and an office to work on my great American novel. This was my great adventure. My journey to the new world. I was a colonist. This my property. My land and I was going to build my castle.
So I started planning. I began my DIY lessons. Needless to say, they were short lessons, and I failed them all. The first lesson you learn about home ownership is about money. What I mean by this is that when you rent a house you are not responsible for ancilary costs. These are costs like fixing a drain or getting some crazy rabid squirrels who set up shop inside your roof to leave. These are the type of costs a landlord would normally cover. This is the first and often the last lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment