Monday, October 1, 2012

Basement - Drivers License

     On my basement shelf as I am rummaging through my art supplies I come across an old id and two drivers licenses. At first I am not sure why I have these. Then I am reminded that at one point I had the intention to catalog my aging. What an odd thing to do.
     The most striking of the three is the first drivers license. This is not due to the image of a clearly handsome man but do to the date of issue. I did not get my drivers license until I was twenty two. While in high school I liked to drink, a lot. This was among several of my other extra curricular activities. Being young and enjoying the drink often leads to law telling you that you are not allowed to enjoy the drink. I got several under age drinking fines. The total was somewhere around $1200.
      It interesting how you cannot truly notice the passage of time until after it has passed. Had I understood how much these fines would affect my later life I might have been more cautious in my drinking. And yet I can also be quite certain I would still have not given a shit. It was hard for me to care about anything but my own immediate gratification then.
     When Serena first had Ronin we moved into a nice duplex and tried the whole family thing. It was such a nice place. Shortly after I got a knew job and things began to look up as they often do. Soon after the calls began. Money was owed fro my transgressions. Willfully I had chosen to ignore these calls from collectors, so they did what they do. My wages were garnished. Things became very hard for us for a long time. Eventually we were broken just before the debt was paid. I can now say that this was when I knew I had a divorce in my future. Hindsight is a cruel thing. Money is worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment